Glucose Meters and Test Strips are a Crucial Part of a Diabetic Lifestyle
Living with Diabetes is not the easiest thing. However, for many it becomes a routine and an acceptable part of their life. One of the most important aspects is knowing exactly when a person’s glucose levels are becoming too high or too low.
When it comes to keeping track of one's glucose levels, it is important to ensure both accuracy and ease of testing. Thankfully, by using glucose test strips in conjunction with glucose meters, keeping track of glucose levels is now easier than ever before.
Using Glucose Test Strips:
Glucose test strips are an excellent option that people with diabetes can use on a daily basis to test their glucose levels and remain aware of their blood sugar. The strips can also help provide your healthcare professional with valuable data that can be used to adjust medication levels and prescriptions.
Glucose strips have several layers, each with a different purpose. The top layer acts as a sponge that absorbs a blood sample. The middle layer filters blood to the reaction center of the strip, where enzymes react with the blood glucose level to provide a final numerical reading that indicates glucose levels. This information can help one manage their day-to-day blood sugar levels and numerically track their glucose levels over time.
Using Glucose Meters:
Glucose meters also provide an excellent and convenient option for people to monitor and track glucose levels. This medical device measures the concentration of glucose in blood, and can help those with type 1 and type 2 diabetes manage their blood sugar. Glucose meters work similarly to a glucose test strip, and come in several different meter types including:
- Noninvasive meters: These types of glucose meters are not clinically or commercially available. Research continues to attempt to find a glucose measurement method that does not require drawing blood.
- Continuous glucose monitor: These monitors utilize disposable sensors that are placed under the skin and a transmitter that reads and displays glucose levels.
Top Glucose Meter Brands:
- BD Logic Glucose Meter.
- Accu-Check Meter Systems.
- FreeStyle Lite Glucose Monitoring System.
- ReliOn Ultima.
- Well at Walgreens True Matrix.
- Fora diabetic test strips.
Handling the expenses of diabetes and glucose management/monitoring can certainly be difficult, but there are several tips and tricks that can be used to save money when shopping for glucose strips or meters:
- Check for free glucose test strip offers: Many popular glucose test strip companies frequently provide limited time free trials or samples! Be sure to check for free glucose test strips from popular brands like FreeStyle or Accu-Check!
- Look for coupons: Many prominent glucose meter and test strip brands also offer coupons or discounts on their products during various times of the year. If you're trying to find glucose test strips or a glucose meter, you can wait for the right time to buy and use coupons.
- Shop online for glucose test strips and meters: Online retailers can offer discount rates or free shipping when you purchase glucose test strips or meters. Popular online retailers include ADWDiabetes, Glucomart, and Walgreens.
- Know what you're shopping for: Not every brand of glucose test strip or meter is right for every individual. Be sure to find the right price range, data storage capability, glucose level test time, and other factors.